Small town located in a strategic position to visit mountains, plains, the sea and the nearby cities like Venice.
Our Relais is located at the top of one of the Conegliano hills, along the Prosecco D.O.C.G. and where the castle rises, to dominate the historical center entirely concentrated along via XX Settembre, reachable with a panoramic walk or comfortably by car.
Of medieval origin, this “pearl of the Veneto” is known throughout Italy to be the birthplace of the great painter Gian Battista Cima, belonging to the Venetian school of the fifteenth century and for the first Enology School, the oldest in Italy.
THE CASTLE WITH THE CIVIC MUSEUM TWO STEPS FROM THE RELAIS …
It is now certain that the construction of the castle also corresponds to the foundation of the city, today the most populous of the province of Treviso, after the capital.
Around 1100 was the powerful bishop of Belluno to take possession of the castle and the city’s first urban nucleus, as well as a dense series of fortifications scattered around, of which today only rare traces remain.
The castle, erected on the pre-existing Bremba tower, a semicircular Roman fortification still visible in its vestiges from the garden of Villa Zacchi, was initially divided into two parts. The most important was Castelvecchio, corresponding to the current garden area; the other was Coderta, where Casa Dal Vera stands today. The Castelvecchio site was considered the most important because it was the seat of the military garrison and the podestĂ . Inside there were four towers, called Saracena, Barbacane, Carceri and Soccorso.
Of these four buildings today only the Torre Campanaria remains, inside which the Civic Museum is located, and the Saracen Tower, transformed into a restaurant.
THE CATHEDRAL AND THE ROOM OF THE BATTUTI
n via XX Settembre (formerly known as Contrada Grande) is the Cathedral of the city, whose construction was begun by the Beaten in 1345. These were the members of a congregation that had originated around 1260 in Umbria and that a few years later was present in Conegliano, distinguishing itself for the care of the spirituality of the inhabitants as well as for the material assistance provided through hospitals and hospices founded by them.
Initially they were hosted by the Pomposian monks of S. Maria di Monte, located along the road leading to the castle in the area now occupied by Villa Chisini, but by 1354 they built their church dedicated to S. Maria Nuova dei Battuti, built in the center of a hospice for pilgrims managed by them.
In the second half of the 14th century the overhead meeting room was built which, placed perpendicular to the nave of the church, made it possible to respect the continuity of the porticoed road front which had already been attested at that time. The church houses notable works of art: the altarpiece placed in the presbytery, recently restored, was executed by Giambattista Cima da Conegliano in 1493 and depicts the Madonna and Child with angels, among the saints Giovanni Battista, Nicola, Caterina d ‘ Alexandria, Apollonia, Francesco and Pietro.
PIAZZA CIMA AND THE ANCIENT GREAT CONTRADA
Heart of the city and home of the Accademia theater.
A 5-minute drive or a 20-minute walk along the romantic “Madonna delle Nevi” pedestrian street can be reached from the Relais.
Area used for local festivals, events and together with via XX Settembre for the traditional weekly Friday market.
The Casa museo is the place where in the Renaissance lived a Conglianese painter.
In good condition after the restoration that saved it from decay, it is inserted in the succession of small facades of the street behind the Duomo.
Formerly the seat of the Civic Library and since 1988 Gallery of Modern Art, Palazzo Sarcinelli is an important point of reference in Italy for modern and contemporary national and international art exhibitions.
Palazzo Sarcinelli is one of the most characteristic buildings in the historic center of Conegliano and one of the best examples of the Renaissance period.
Built in 1518 by the nobles Sarcinelli da Ceneda, in the history it has hosted many famous people, some of whom are depicted, according to the historian Adolfo Vital, in the paintings of the reception hall, on the main floor: Tommaso da Gaeta, general of the Dominicans; Bona, Queen of Poland, who stopped in the palace in 1556; Maximilian, archduke of Austria; Henry III, king of France, present in Conegliano in 1574.
The palace is a luxurious residence built by the sons of the nobleman Antonio Sarcinelli di Ceneda, thanks to the perpetual safe conduct obtained by the Council of Ten of Venice in 1512, for the loyalty and the value shown in the battles against the imperials of the Cambrai league. This concession allowed them to settle in Conegliano freeing themselves from the persecution of the patriarch Marino who had even imprisoned them, out of hatred of a family, on the island of Cres.
The entrance of the building is enriched by a marble portal, probably recovered from a destroyed church, which allows access to an airy portico.
EX CONVENT OF SAN FRANCESCO
The Franciscan complex dates back to 1411 , when the friars, already present in the territory of Conegliano from the Duecento , they decided to move to a protected place within the walls, to escape the continuous raids and destructions to which they were victims. Attached to the monastery was a large church dedicated to the patron saint with its cloister, buildings that were demolished in the first Ottocento by men of Napoleon , after being used by them as a hospital during the invasion of the Veneto . Inside the Pinacoteca di Brera the table of Cima da Conegliano depicting” St. Peter enthroned with St. John the Baptist and St. Paul “  sup> a time owned by the Convent. The former convent, after undergoing almost two centuries of decline, benefited from an integral restoration in the two thousand years , becoming a prestigious congress center and international residential center for post-graduate studies, used by companies and universities all over the world. The management is entrusted to the Fondazione Cassamarca.
FOUNTAIN OF NETTUNO
The fountain of Neptune, also called the fountain of horses, is one of the symbols of the city of Conegliano. The sculpture depicts the Neptune, god of the sea, who holds a trident, on a shell pulled by two horses, from whose nostrils flows the water of the fountain. This impressive eighteenth-century sculpture was kept at Villa Foscolo in Oderzo. The basin below, which collects water, has instead fourteenth-century origins and is the work of the sculptor Filippo Spongadi.
The Jewish cemetery of Conegliano was inaugurated in the 1545 on the hill of Cabalan, one of the most striking and panoramic areas of the city. Before this there existed another cemetery, of which however no trace remains except in the documents; it was located on the side of the hill of the castle at the current via dei Pascoli. The new cemetery served for centuries the needs of the Conegliano Jewish community without interruption until 1882-84 when it came abandoned having been allowed to the Jews to bury their dead in a reserved section in the municipal cemetery of San Giuseppe. The cemetery area was also used by the Ceneda Jewish Community before this was granted its own cemetery. Abandoned for decades, also due to the extinction of the local Jewish community, and reduced to serious degradation, the Conegliano cemetery was recently recovered by the Archaeological Group of the Conegliano at the request of the Hebrew Community of Venice , which owns the property. On the occasion of the restoration, the new entrance from Viale Gorizia was also created by the Municipality: a steep climb of one hundred and ten steps, dedicated to Marco Grassini, a Jew, mayor of Conegliano in the nineteenth century. The original entrance (no longer existing and now included in private property) was at the top of the hill, on the opposite side from where it is now; this is testified by the foundations of a small chapel used to stop the body before burial. In the cemetery there are about one hundred and thirty gravestones mostly oriented towards the east, in the direction of Jerusalem . Originally there were many more but many were lost due to negligence and landslides. The material used is sandstone or limestone, depending on the economic availability. The oldest epigraphs, most of them in Hebrew , show steps of Bibbia . The most recent, nineteenth-century, are instead generally in Italian. Some gravestones have decorations with leaves, false columns or with the indication of the deceased’s family, each of which is distinguished by a different symbolic emblem: the rooster with moon, stars and spike refers to the Luzzato family; the tower with two rampant lions to the Grassini, the squirrel to the Goneian or Conian, who had among their descendants also Lorenzo Da Ponte (Emanuele Conegliano), librettist of Mozart .
MUSEUM OF THE ALPINI
Inaugurated on 2 April 2006 on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the foundation of the Conegliano section of the National Alpine Association, the museum is housed in a building inserted in the complex of the former Alpine barracks in Conegliano, along the river Monticano , now owned by the municipality. The building was renovated between 2005 and 2006 and was definitively destined for museum use, based on a project by the architect. Alberto Torsello.